Monday, October 18, 2010

excitement/drama

That was the theme of the past week. It was so up and down, I need a grid by which I can explain it to you. I don't know WHY in the world I decided to move into a new house for some excitement, because between my wedding, my family and my work, I get enough of that.

Anyways, I will try to do this post through my progress report:

1. Planning a wedding: Does crying your eyes out because there are too many people you have to see that want to see you and thinking your boss hates you because you're always scatterbrained, stressed, underprepared or on your way somewhere, count as part of the planning? Well then I've been planning very hard.

2. Making friends: More like rediscovering existing friends - who are all LOVELY! My kitchen tea was this weekend! It was a tea party with cake, presents, lovely caffe-latte flavoured rooibos tea and one cousin that even drove halfway across the country just to be there. I just want to thank every single person involved for doing so much for me. Life may be crazy, but one thing is sure: I am blessed. See pictures.....


me, cousin (not the one who drove all the way, but she did do a whole lot of organizing), cousin's little girl and ouma in the back. Ouma is 84, doesn't she look great? And look at that smile!

me + good friends

more friends, good ones

some more good friends


3. Running a marathon: can I skip this part? No? Oh shit. Well fine then: I only ran once last week, it wasn't very far, today is Monday and on Sunday I'm supposed to run a 21km. I think I've said enough.


4. Learning something: If a filmmaker likes what she sees, she won't think twice about working right through the night to make the video.The result is one stunning video of my nightingale cousin, Zaria, and all I can say is wow... Let me explain.

I lied when I said I don't know why I moved into the house - I love my new house! I had quite a bad day on Tuesday. Was stressed at work, had a thousand things to do and then cousin had mini drama when her musician ex-boyfriend showed up at her house unexpectedly. So I told her to stop stressing and come spend the night at my house. Only to get there and find oh! it's the German's (one of the house mates) birthday party! And what a lovely bunch of friends he has. They are from all kinds of strange countries, one of which I've never heard of. Lots of wine was consumed, awesome food was eaten, and then Filmmaker appeared from her room (this is the third housemate, whom I haven't introduced properly yet, so keep reading).
Cousin Zaria got hold of guitar and her voice charmed it's way into everyone's hearts. As one of my colleagues accurately puts it: "she's just in her own little world there, you can see it. And if you listen, she takes you right along...". All the while fiance was chopping branches off at my second-floor bedroom window, because the bougainvilla tree has taken quite a fancy to my window and as a result the window can't open.
Filmmaker - us still being at the party downstairs - liked what she heard from Zaria's mouth, got a wave of inspiration and before we knew what we were doing, fiance was dragged away from cutting branches and ordered to rearrange lighting and electrical cables. Filmmaker appointed us makeup artist, creative director and props and lighting all in one. At one point, Filmmaker even had Zaria in an old fashioned bathtub and for that shot I 'stole' electrical cables and a candle from party below.
It was extremely fun, but most of all, very successful. At 4am the next morning (we finished the fiming at about midnight), while we were sleeping soundly, Filmmaker posted the video to Facebook. We are all in amazement. Personally, I just can't believe that someone has finally done my cousin's music justice. Yay!

So BIG thanks to Butterfly Films for this video - Enjoy!

Click here: ZARIA'S VIDEO

1 comment:

  1. Janee, dit tel beslis as beplanning. In fact, dit is die wese van beplanning, ontmasker in jou blog! Het die excitement/drama en die foto's geniet!

    ReplyDelete