Friday, December 10, 2010

Big poofy dresses and love stories and things...

Sigh. Believe it or not, I am still on the subject of the dress. Laurie-the-fun-journalist once told me and Lesley (the friend who recently got married, where I cried my eyes out) that she still doesn't know if she likes her wedding dress. At first I was puzzled.

"You have this idea in your head," she said over coffee and a generous slice of cake for each of us, "but then you get to the shops and you try things on and it all changes. And before you know it, you've bought a big, poofy wedding dress, like the ones they have in the movies."

But now I know what she means. Yes, I know I told you all I've followed my gut feeling. But is a gut feeling supposed to make you feel all swooney and airy? This is what I wrote to Laurie last week:

"Laurie, I have to share this with you. Remember how you said that you still don’t know if you like your wedding dress, because the industry just confuses you and before you know it you have a princess dress instead of what you had in mind?

It happened to me. I bought a bloody ballgown!

Tell me it’s okay? I thought I was going to be an edgy, modern bride with an unusual dress. One that looked sexy instead of big and poofy. But I am officially now poofy! Big! Poofy! Big! Did I say poofy?

I am already plotting a second outfit. One that is edgy and modern and sexy....

But here’s my problem: what if I just don’t want to take the big white one off? What if I am mesmerized again when I come close to it and I just can’t get it off me on the night? I don’t know how it happens, but whenever I have it on I get this wistful, happy, silly smile on my face. That’s instead of the sexy, shy, cool one I had planned.

I will simply have to get my bridesmaids to drag me kicking and screaming from the hall, remove it by force and make me put on my sexy second outfit. That’s all." 

This is what Laurie wrote back: 
"Do not be afraid.
When the bridal fairies sew up these dresses in the Magical Kingdom of Weddings, far, far away, they sprinkle magic dust on them that, when inhaled, completely intoxicates the young maiden trying on the gown.... do not be afraid. You will be a princess bride. There is something magical about a wedding dress. I firmly believe they choose you, and not the other way around. The dress that wants to be yours will be yours - no matter what. It will hypnotize you and make you fall in love with it. And once you fall in love with it, you will love it forever.


If you insist on your edgy outfit - which I think is a SMASHING idea - then make a pact with your bridesmaids that AFTER the first dance (because you want to be a fairy bride and wear the dress that made you fall in love with it) you can change into Modern Edgy Bride.

Embrace it, because you just can't fight it...."

Sigh. I think I will trust Laurie on this one... not so sure even about the second outfit now. So here is a nice Taylor Swift video to get us all into the swooney, lovey-dovey mood....

No comments:

Post a Comment