Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Progress

Progress indeed!

Making friends: We have a new housemate (again!)! What a lovely busy house we have. I'll call her the American Journalist. She moved in yesterday and she works as a freelancer for probably the best newspaper in the country. Her focus at the moment is environmental journalism. Very, very inspiring!

Running a marathon: As I said in the last post, I've decided to not allow myself to run a race again before I've run at least three to four times a week for four weeks in a row. So I'm halfway through the second week after the last race, and I've run three times and gone swimming once. Not bad, I think, though I probably could have done more. I'm planning another running session in lunchtime today and a last one tomorrow morning - before I whisk off to Pretoria for the second weekend in a row. 

Planning a wedding: Invitations almost all sent out! I may also have found the perfect shoes for the bridesmaids, at a very good price. So excited. Still don't have a DJ, though, because the one we wanted is already booked. Bleh. Don't know WHAT we're going to do. Dancing is the best part of the party! 

Learning something: So this is probably not exactly what I had in mind when I imagined learning stuff, but I've realized that stres really affects me badly. As I've said, things are better at work since I've got a better idea of what I have to do for the next three issues of our magazine, but the past month - when we went on double deadline - really is showing. I stopped running (as was demonstrated in the bad race two weeks ago), I picked up weight (stres causes an uncontrollable craving for doughnuts, it seems. And it doesn't help that my Muslim colleagues know all the anties who make the best doughnuts in town and keeps bringing us boxes of those evil sugary luxuries almost every week). My skin also breaks out, I can't stop scratching when I'm this stressed and I don't sleep. BUT exercise makes all the difference, so I am even more committed to my running regime after this month. Let's hope the workload doesn't get out of hand before Christmas. I do have a wedding coming up, after all!

Learning something no2: My mom's best friend just published her first book, and reading it on the plane back to Cape Town from Pretoria last weekend brought up some interesting emotions. I have written something about it but I'm still contemplating if I should publish... watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment